Rollin’ On UpMarch 12, 2009 at 1:14 am | Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments
Tags: eggplant, marinara, Onions, ricotta, spinach
Hello all! Is everyone enjoying this amazing weather? I am!! Too bad it’s supposed to be rainy the rest of the week 😦 Ah well!
Swimming is going really well for me so far! I have swam the past 3 days and my knee is feeling just fine! Yesterday I was getting a little bored just aimlessly going back and forth so I decided to write out a little work out plan for me for today:
8 lengths freestyle
816 lengths alternating freestyle and backstroke
60 pool step leg kicks
16 lengths favorite stroke
60 seconds treading water vigorously (x 2)
60 seconds of high knees with hand to opposite knee
4 lengths sprints
60 pool step leg kicks
12 lengths favorite stroke
- Then I did about 400 crunches in different positions. My legs are tired but I miss a good sweat session!! I am thankful there is an indoor pool I get to at least get some cardio in. I really feel like staying off the elliptical and staying off of running (obviously) is helping to heal my knee which makes it all worth it!
Well this has been a delicious day, I have to tell ya. I made a glorious salad to bring for lunch today. It was so good lookin I just had to show you a picture!
- kidney beans
- yellow squash
- TJ hummus
- salt + pepper
Ahh I looked forwad to this salad all day and it did not disappoint! There is nothing that makes me happier then a big salad filled with tons of different vegetables.
Tonight’s dinner was inspired by some eggplants that we had gotten from the reduced price produce cart at Harris Teeter. When I saw Kath’s recipe for eggplant rolls that she had found in this month’s Shape magazine I knew we HAD to make it!
Kath mentioned that she couldn’t really taste the ricotta so I whipped out my secret ingredient:
Sundried tomatoes! These babies totally made the dinner, in my opinion. I mixed some of these into the ricotta + spinach mixture.
- Slice up eggplant and roast at 425* for 20 minutes.
- Spread ricotta mixture onto each slice of roasted eggplant (mixture contained ricotta, spinach, chopped sundried tomatoes, garlic pepper, salt and pepper)
- Roll up eggplants and place seam side down in a pan.
- Spoon marinara sauce over the roll ups and sprinkle with cheese (we used a Lite Mexican Blend that was on sale!)
Optional: Sprinkle with red pepper flakes
(note the half with a lot of cheese on top! That’s all James)
5. Bake at 375* for 10 minutes then broil on high for 6 minutes if you like that crispy outer layer!
I put a few of the rolls on top of some whole wheat pasta for James.
Check out that delicious crispy cheese action
I put some on top of spinach for me.
Like I said, the sundried tomatoes totally made this filling for me. It was like stuffed shells only healthified! I could definitely taste the ricotta filling and the smooth texture of that with the chewy texture of the roasted eggplant was fantastic. Did I mention the sundried tomatoes made this meal? James said this was his new favorite! He said it was very “gourmet.” And it was so easy with minimal clean up! I love that!
Check out our beautiful flowers we got at Trader Joe’s this weekend:
Now it’s time for more West Wing. This show is SO AWESOME! I’m so glad there are so many seasons. It makes me so happy. What ever will we do when we’re done with it?! I don’t even want to think about that day…
What is your favorite TV series?
Mine is definitely Law & Order: SVU with West Wing as a competitor…